Liverpool captain, Virgil Van Dijk says he is unsure whether he will stay at Anfield beyond the current season.
The future of key players in the Liverpool squad is uncertain and Van Dijk is one of the three high profile players–alongside Mohammed Salah and Trent Alexander Arnold who are out of contract at the end of the season.
Van Dijk had previously expressed his readiness to stay at Anfield and talks had been ongoing for months between the 33 year old and Liverpool.
However, after Liverpool’s Champions League defeat by Paris Saint Germain on Tuesday, he genuinely acknowledged that there is an uncertainty over his future.
Van Dijk said: “I still have no idea at the moment. Genuinely,”
“At the moment I don’t even know what will happen next year. If anyone says they do know, they are
lying to your face.
“Everyone knows there are some conversations behind the scenes but that is about it.”
When the 33-year-old Netherlands defender was asked whether discussions over his own future had been paused in order to focus on matters on the pitch, he replied saying that his full focus is on helping Liverpool finish well this season.
“It is not on hold. Nothing on hold,” explained the centre-back.
“Listen, there are 10 games to go [in the Premier League] and that is my full focus. If there is news, you guys will know it. I don’t even know myself.”
Liverpool are currently favourites to win the Premier league title with Arne Slot’s side 15 points clear at the top of the table and are set to face Newcastle in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday.